Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Linda's Chick Peas

It is so funny that I have been working with Linda for several weeks now, and I do not know her last name!
So, I have not had the best relationship with Chickpeas in my life.  I warmed to them in things like Hummus, and they make a good mock Meatball.  It only stands to reason, that the way I love them is about as unhealthy a preparation as you could imagine for a legume, but that is the story of my life in a nutshell.
Linda simply opens a can of chick peas, rinses them, lets them dry....Then she deep fries them in the same oil as the french fries in the cafe.
I suppose you could use a light olive oil, peanut oil, or whatever you are used to.  Let them get a nice deep amber brown...
The she douses them with Five Spice, or a Mexican spice mix.  Seasoned salt would be good...Cajun spice blend....or what about cayenne and salt alone....Be creative, and serve them within about an hour if possible...less is best...Chick peas are so meaty, and retain inside moisture so that eventually the moisture comes out and softens the crisp surface that you created with the deep fry....

These are great as an appetizer in place of a bowl of nuts, and they would be nice as a topper for a salad.

BOY ARE THEY GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment