Saturday, April 4, 2009

Baked Fish

Nancy Cafarella Bailey, Mom and me at Revere beach soon after my father died.


Haddock, Sole, Flounder, Cod...you name it, my parents loved it. Seafood was the ideal food in my family. Imagine the problems when my mother moved to northern Maine. Maine sounds like a good place for seafood, but we were at least five hours from the sea. Fish was not on the menu unless my father caught it in the local stream or lake or there was a fat paycheck. Compound that with the fact that I positively would not eat fish. It was and is very foolish I know, but I got a bone once and that spooked me. Later I was eating lobster and I got sick the next day with one of those childhood illnesses. No relationship of course, but I was a kid and I could never eat anything from the sea again. Idiot!

Well, I thought I should overcome this silly problem, so I started ordering fish at the Hotel Signum in Malfa, and I continue to do so on a regular basis. I can't say that I love fish now, but I am learning.

Mom used to do this whenever we had fish at home, and we had a very similar dish in Malfa the first time I went there. The other way was baked in Milk, and I could not even imagine that.

So, Here goes.

1. Lay the filet or fish steak in a shallow baking dish.

2. Grate or finely mince one clove of garlic for each portion and sprinkle evenly over the fish.

3. Chop a fresh whole tomato with it's juice for each piece of fish(you may substitute canned whole tomatoes chopped) and spread over the portions.

4. Salt and pepper to taste.

5. Rinse salt from capers(your preference for number) and dot into the tomatoes.

6. Dizzle olive oil over the top and bake at 400F till the fish is opaque or if you desire more done fish, till the fish flakes easily.(about 10 minutes for 3/4 inch portions)

With thin portions like sole, I like to roll them up with a lttle bit of sauteed veggies or nearly cooked aspargus spears inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment