Friday, April 3, 2009

Alberta Burrill's Fried Clams

This recipe is more like a clam fritter from what I can see. Unfortunately, there is no method, but we can all guess how this went. I assume that this would be OK as a simple coating on whole clams as well. Perhaps with other shellfish as well. Though Alberta came from Lewiston, they often spent time in the Summer at Pemaquid on the Bristol peninsula in Maine. Also, her husband Richard was the principal at the local school in Bristol Mills. they had a close attachment to the sea. I would be happy to trust anything they did with seafood. Funny, I spent so much time with Mrs. Burrill when I was young. She gave me Art lessons and spent time with me like she was a second mother. I still remember her phone number in Houlton to this day. 2-6025. Strange the things that stick with you!

1 egg
1 cup milk
salt
2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
flour enough for a batter(how specific!)
chopped clams


I would just mix it all together and drop by teaspoons into hot oil. In her case it probably would have been Crisco or lard!

No comments:

Post a Comment