Thursday, September 3, 2009

Egg Salad

Anything looks good in front of Mom's bean pot.
 
 
The fact is, anyone who knows me well, can tell you that I hate eggs, for the most part.  Like many people, though, I don't mind Deviled Eggs.  I have always avoided Egg Salad Sandwiches.
I had an egg boiled for another lunch earlier in the week, and did not want to eat it as it was.  Can't waste it though.
So, I made my own Egg Salad. 

Boil one egg per sandwich.  To do this perfectly, just put your eggs in a saucepan.  Cover them with cold water.  Place on medium high heat and bring to a boil.  Do not allow to boil for long.  Turn off the heat and cover the pan.   Allow to sit in the water for about fifteen minutes or till cold.  Rinse and peel the eggs.  Older eggs are better than fresh for this.

Slice the eggs into a bowl. 
Finely mince onion (sweeter is better so red is good) to equal about a rounded Tablespoon or more of onion per egg.
Add a rounded tablespoon of Mayonnaise per egg.   For me, a bit more is better.
Salt and pepper generously.

Mash the whole thing with a potato masher.  I do this because I do not like the big chunks of egg white in some recipes.
I like the egg to be rather loose instead of dry.

Try adding flavorings to the salad, especially if eggs are not your favorite.:

Finely minced tarragon.
A bit of prepared mustard, or a dash of dry mustard per egg.
A dusting of Cayenne.
Finely minced ham or sausage of any type.
Parmesan cheese.
Very finely minced radish.

ALWAYS KEEP SUCH DISHES IN A VERY COLD PLACE TILL SERVED.  MAYO SPOILS VERY EASILY.

When you make your sandwiches, cut them into four on the diagonal, or into fingers without the crust.  Butter or Mayo one or more of the cut edges.  Dip the prepared edge in very finely chopped parsley or chives.  Shake the coated edge till anything loose drops off.  Display the decorated edges prominently on the tray or plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment