Thursday, March 26, 2009

Grammie's Sour Cream Fudge


I don't think of Grammie making candy. It seems out of character. But, here it is in her own hand. In my memory, if Grammie wanted something sweet, she whipped up a batch of her loaf pan Anise Biscotti. True Biscotti...the ones we are used to, are usually in such a stiff batter that they are formed into a log before baking. Leave it to Grammie to be different. I suppose that over a lifetime though, she must have had occasion to do all sorts of things like this. This seems a very strange recipe with flour and sour cream in it. But, it must work or she would not have bothered to save it. I can't wait for my diet to end so I can work my way through all these sweets.

Grammie's Sour Cream Fudge

3 cups light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 rounded tablespoon flour
1 cup thick sour cream

Stir the mixture till it is dissolved.
Boil it till it forms a soft ball when dropped in cold water.
Remove the pan from the fire.

Add:

1 teaspoon of vanilla
a piece of butter half the size of an egg
1 cup walnut meats cut fine

Beat till the mixture begins to grow smooth and thick.
Then, turn the mixture out into buttered pans.
When cool, cut into small squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment